Monday 30 May 2011

Day 29 - Setting up day 30 and 31

There was a change to the configuration of the Support Team today as Comedy Jon's time was up and he left to return to the UK. Thanks go to him for his driving, organisational skills and, of course, all of the comedy stories and moments.

Today was all about getting to Helper in Carbon County, Utah. This is the last point before the tricky journey to Duchesne through a huge series of steep valleys over the next few days. This meant running only 24.5 miles, which was as straightforward as it gets these days. Energy levels were back to normal after a good carb loading session yesterday. In fact, I had to take my foot off the pedal at times to keep the pace at a sensible level. I think I've lost about 2 stone in weight now and the temptation to go flying off is too much at times. Now is not the time for speed. 

The roads were mostly very long and straight today and the views were as magnificent as ever in Utah.


The day started out quite hot and ended cool. After 29 days of running, I'm not too bothered what the temperature is anymore. I just add and subtract layers as the conditions dictate. I also think I'm getting quite used to being at altitude. Today's "tactical snooze" was only for 30 minutes! That's a good sign.


There was a noticeable absence of HGVs today. It was nice to see those guys take Sunday off. Normal service will be resumed tomorrow I'm sure.

I ended the day with a massage from Wee Kirsty while eating Peanut Butter M&Ms. What a way to end the day. The focus was on my right hamstring which needed more attention than usual. My calf muscles were also a little tight. Kirsty really is a first class sports therapist. Quite how I get out there day after day feeling as good as I do is a credit to her talents. She will be a huge miss to the team when she leaves in 2 weeks time.

I'm not too sure what the mobile reception will be like over the next few days so you may not see an update on the blog until Tuesday. It could, in fact, be Wednesday by the time I do an update as I must set aside a few hours to shave off my beard!

Finally, I'll close once again thanking those kind folk who made a donation today. The charity fund is building nicely for St Benedict's Hospice and The Children's Foundation and is on the way to hit £36,000 very soon. If you would like add to the total then the following links can be used to donate direct to the 2 charities. Every penny that is donated is so important to the 2 charities. 

(St Benedict's Hospice)

(The Children's Foundation)

Alternatively, a donation can be made via cheque payable to 'The Children's Foundation' or 'St Benedict's Hospice' and sent to the following:

FAO Libby Nolan
The Children's Foundation,
PO Box 2YB,
Sir James Spence Institute,
Victoria Wing,
Royal Victoria Infirmary,
Queen Victoria Road,
Newcastle upon Tyne.
NE99 2YB.

FAO Sylvia Stoneham
St Benedict's Hospice.
Monkwearmouth Hospital,
Newcastle Road,
Sunderland,
SR5 1NB.