Sunday 22 November 2009

The third "6 Bridges Challenge"!

The conditions at the start of the 3rd 6 Bridges Challenge were pretty good indeed and not at all consistent with the howling winds and pouring rain of late.

Joining me this week were Jacko (with his New Run Geordie Run t-shirt) and Chopper from week 1, Mike and Tom from week 2 and Craig a new participant who saw the event publicised on Twitter.

We set off just after 9 am and I must say that my aim was just to get round in 1 piece given the nasty cold that I'd failed to shake off all week. Mike also had a cold so I was in good company!

The first indicator that I wasn't on top form was the fact that my heart rate raced to 180 bpm at the top of Bottle Bank where last week it was 160 bpm. I was gasping for air at the top of the bank. Most unusual!

As per usual, the first 5 bridges were out of the way pretty quickly. I then settled into the run and was quite comfortable until we got to the 6.5 mile point. I felt pretty tired for the next mile but that feeling was soon gone as the towering Redheugh Bridge came into sight.

Just like the other 2 attempts on this course we seemed to put as much effort into the banter as the running and this is what I've come to really like about this run. It's not taken too seriously and it's a great chance to catch up with friends and colleagues past and meet new runners at the same time. Having said that, we were almost a minute quicker this week than last and Jacko

I must admit that I would have put this one off until lunchtime had I not advertised it again on the blog, Twitter and Facebook. Knowing that I have to be somewhere to run with people at a set time is great for motivation.

My cold feels a lot better after this run and David Fairlamb's Beach Bootcamp yesterday. I'm not setting my self any targets this week though. I'll just try and get as many miles as I can. One thing is for sure, I'll be doing the 4th 6 Bridges Challenge next Sunday and in the words of Mike Lewis "It's a great route. Anyone wanting to give it a go would really enjoy it.".