Saturday 28 February 2009

20 is the new 12.

After a tough Beach Bootcamp session it was onto the steps with the usual gang in attendance. One by one they did their efforts until all that was left were Peter McCowie (pictured left) and myself. Peter's final total was 16 and I managed a new best of 20 (previous best was 12). Well done to one and all for completing their steps. Improvements are seen week after week from everybody who attempts the steps and David Fairlamb must be very pleased with the effort we all put in.

I must say that my day was made when I read the following message from an old colleague mate. For me, this is what it's all about and it's nice to see the run across the USA starting to have an effect on others already. This is one of a few message, stories or comments I've heard of recently.

"Hi Mark,
Just gotta say that you've been a bit of an inspiration for me over the last few months. I started to get myself fit last June and spend a lot of time in the gym, but recently I've been doing something which I've always found difficult and that's running. Being of 'chunky' build, it's no mean feat I can tell you!

I started with a struggling 2 miles last October but last week I did a 7 mile run and I'm gearing up for the big 10 miles tomorrow. Even at my fittest I could only manage about 3 miles so I feel like I've achieved a lot lately. In total, I've lost around 3.5 stone since June and most of that came off when I started running. It's unheard of, but I really enjoy running now and find it relaxing, especially at night, I can listen to my iPod and think without any disturbance. I'm thinking about the Great North Run as a landmark now and it would be great to run it with confidence. Keep up the hard work mate, I enjoy reading about your progress.".

So if you're wanting to lose a few pounds, why not take a leaf out of John's book. All it takes is a pair of trainers, a mile or 2 of road/path and the desire to put one foot in front of the other a few hundred times! Run people run!