Friday 27 June 2008

Now it's a real challenge!

All of a sudden the Pennine Challenge has become a real tougher challenge.  I'm now more nervous than I was at the start of last year's big run!   Allow me to explain.  The cycle element of the team are now doing the route today (Friday), 2 days earlier than the runners (Sunday).  It's something to do with stag do's and golf rounds! Unfortunately, Fraser Scott has had to drop out due to a chest infection.  This is an ideal opportunity for me to step into the breach and keep the cyclists numbers up.  I'll also still be taking part in Sunday's run making this weekend's Pennine Challenge doubly difficult (and well worthy of sponsorship!).

At least I'll be in esteemed company.  The other cyclists are Ian "The Coach" Glasgow, Jim "Patto"  Patterson and Michael "Dunny" Dunn.  They are all used to spending a long time in the saddle over different terrains and in different weathers.  Michael has defied the odds by joining the team after only having knee surgery 6 weeks ago!  This surgery was as a result of a serious injury sustained on last year's Pennine Challenge.  I've used the words "hero" and "Michael Dunn" many times over the last 12 months. 

We will be starting at Castleside on the C2C route at 10:00, making our way to Middleton-in-Teesdale and then back to Castleside.  All in all, it's a nice hilly 44 mile round trip.  Cycling is not my normal thing but with over 60 Spinning classes since February and 187 miles cycled in the last 3 weeks I'm quite well prepared.  

Pictured above is the 11 mile point on the ride.  This is the climb out of Stanhope.  It's a nightmare.  Expect an update at teatime today on how it all went.