Tuesday 5 June 2007

Injury doubt for Blaydon Race

I managed 1.5 miles of a 5 mile run today before feeling the familiar pain in my hamstring again. I had no choice but to turn around and jog gently back to the start. I even had to walk some of the way, such was the pain.

There's still 4 weeks until the big run so I'm not too concerned about this injury in that respect. Also, I feel as though I'm fit enough at this point in time and as I said last week any training done in the next 4 weeks is a bonus. I am, however, very disappointed at the prospect of missing the Blaydon Race this Saturday. I am looking forward to it and feel almost certain that I am in with a very good chance of beating my previous PB of 00:59:50. In the grand scheme of things, the Blaydon race matters not one jot. Getting myself fit and ready for the big run in 4 weeks is the priority.

A few people have asked me what I would do if this type of injury occurred on the big run. The answer is simple. I'd run slightly slower and take plenty of pain killers. It would take something very serious for me not to finish this run. And even then I'd still have a crack at it. The strategy is therefore "Get to Lands End at all costs".

For now, I've got a bag of frozen peas on my hamstring and I'm going to get a sports massage at the gym tomorrow. It's very painful by all accounts. Can't wait!